Saturday, April 13, 2013

Glass of Water by Augustin-Eugene Scribe

In Eugene Scribe's work Glass of Water, it is very easy to argue that any of his central characters can act as the play's protagonist. But if I had to choose one specific character to deem as the  protagonists of the play I would choose Bolingbroke. Bolingbroke's overall goal is to keep his country protected while working towards its improvements. Despite being forced from his position and thought of as lesser than by the other monarchs , Bolingbroke treks on towards what he truly believes in. I think that it is these underdog-like qualities that Scribe uses to persuade the audience to root for Bolingbroke. I guess you can say that Bolingbroke carries the plot from one point to the next in effort to obtain his goals. Without him in the play would most (if any) of the events that take place even occur? Although both the Queen and Abigail get a considerable amount of stage time, Bolingbroke is the character whose "struggles are most central to the plot" and are what I believe drives the play forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment